Knee arthroplasty, also known as knee replacement surgery, is a procedure to cure knee pain and improve the joint functions of the knee.
Patients diagnosed with joint complications such as arthiritis, knee injury, or other complex knee conditions are recommended for knee replacement surgery, or knee athroplasty.
During this medical surgery, a prosthetic implant made of plastic or metal is implanted to replace your damaged knee joints. This implanted joint mimics the natural movement of the knee, which helps patients regain mobility and reduce pain.
This particular surgery has improved the lives of many patients, providing them with long term relief from knee pain and an improved quality of life. Further, we discuss more about knee replacement surgery.
Benefits of Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery can help improve an individual’s life, by providing relief from long term knee pain and better mobility. Below are the benefits associated with knee replacement surgery.
- Improved mobility: As the damaged knee joints are replaced with plastic or metal artificial joints that mimic the movement of the original joints, it provides patients with better mobility, flexibility, and ability to move freely without experiencing severe pain.
- Relief of knee pain: Chronic knee pain can be a long term cause of, not living a healthy life and problems in mobility. After a knee replacement surgery, the patient feels more at ease, reduced pain as the damaged knee muscles or knee joints are now replaced. This provides the patient with significant pain relief.
- Long term durability: Modern medical science, has equipped patients with better knee implants that are highly durable, providing patients with long term relief from knee pain.
- Less medical reliance: As the surgery replaces the damaged joints with artificial ones, it causes less pain, and better mobility. Thus, the patient has less need to rely on medications. This indeed makes the patient feel happier and free from consuming medications regularly just for pain relief.
- Improved Lifestyle: Post surgery, patients have noticed a significant improvement in lifestyle, including better sleep patterns, pain relief in knee joints, the ability to have better mobility, restored joint stability, and a better quality of life all together
Challenges Associated with Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgeries are life changing therapy for any patient suffering from knee discomfort. We further shed light on the risks, associated with knee replacement surgeries.
- Wear of Implant: The implanted knees (artifical knees) may get worn out with time, this can create a need for revised surgery.
- Risk of Infection: There can be a probability of an infection postoperatively, which may require medication, antibiotics, or even a resurgery in rare cases.
- Recovery Time: Sometimes rehabilitation can be a lengthy process, taking efforts in physiotherapy and maintaining good health, There can also be numbness and swelling around the knee.
- Allergic Reactions: This is a rare condition where a patient can have an allergic reaction to the implant. Proper treatment and medication can be followed in such cases.
- Prosthesis Loosening: As time passes, the artificial joint could grow loose or prematurely wear out, requiring further operation.
Why is Knee Replacement Surgery Recommended?
Knee Replacement Surgery In Mumbai, is a procedure recommended by many doctors. There might be several reasons why a knee replacement surgery could be recommended for a patient with symptoms of reduced mobility, knee pain, and stiffness.
- Knee Deformities: There might be individuals diagnosed with knee deformities since birth or later in life. A knee replacement surgery could be recommended to correct the patient’s deformities.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Knee joints can get damaged over years of chronic inflammation, to fix these joints, knee replacement surgery can be recommended.
- Filure in nonsurgical treatments: When physical therapies, medications, and other nonsurgical treatments are unable to provide the patient with relief. A surgical procedure could be recommended.
- Pain and discomfort: When the knee pain causes huge discomfort and degrades the quality of life of the patient, having a significant impact on the person’s life, knee surgery is recommended.
- Osteorathritis: Advanced joint degeneration can lead to unbearable pain for the patient, which could require urgent knee replacement surgery for relief.
Coming to a conclusion, knee replacement surgeries provide patients with pain relief, better mobility, and an improved quality of life. Getting treated at the best knee replacement hospital in Mumbai could be the best solution for the patient.
Best Knee Replacement Surgery Hospital in Mumbai
Symbiosis Speciality Hospital is one of the best knee replacement surgery hospitals in Mumbai and provides patients suffering from knee pain with the most advanced knee therapies in the city.
With a team of experienced orthopedic surgeons, we execute the most complex knee replacement surgeries successfully.
We are one of the few hospitals in Mumbai with a state-of-the-art operation theater and surgical ICU specialized exclusively for executing complex knee replacement surgeries with the help of top orthopedic surgeons in the city.