Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI) is the best minimally invasive procedure to fix Aortic Stenosis.
Recent advances in cardiology have opened new doors. With the help of minimally invasive medical procedures, patients can live a long and healthy life without having any major surgeries that have a long-term impact on their lives.
Aortic stenosis is a heart problem characterized by a narrowing of the aortic valve that restricts the blood flow from the heart to the rest of the body. The narrowing of the valve causes the accumulation of calcium deposits on the leaflets of the valves, which reduces the blood flow and induces more stress on the heart as it pumps blood.
What is TAVI?
Transcatheter aortic valve implantation is a minimally invasive procedure that helps treat aortic stenosis. In this minimally invasive procedure, a new valve is inserted with the help of a catheter and deployed to the aortic position.
Once the catheter rests in the correct place, the new valve is expanded; it gets along, pushes the damaged valve leaflets, and restores the blood flow. This minimally invasive procedure is unlike open heart surgery, as it does not require a chest incision or a heart-lung machine. It is beneficial for high-risk patients who cannot undergo traditional valve replacement surgery.
Risks Associated With TAVI?
- Heart Rhythm Problems: Post-surgery, the patient can develop irregular heart beats that might need medical attention.
- Kidney Damage: The contrast dye used during the TAVI procedure may affect kidney function in certain patients.
- Valve Migration: The newly installed valve may shift out of place, causing discomfort to the patient or other severe medical complications.
- Stroke: Small clots forming during the procedure can directly travel to the brain, leading to an on-the-table stroke for the patient.
- Valve Leakage: The newly installed valve may not seal completely, causing leakage of blood in and around the valve.
- Vascular Problems: Damaged blood vessels during insertion of catheter can occur, causing bleeding or requiring immediate medical procedure.
- Procedural Infection: This is rarely a possibility, but infections at the catheter site or within the heart can occur.
Benefits of TAVI Procedure
- Minimally invasive: TAVI is a less invasive procedure when compared to traditional open heart valve replacement surgery. it is performed by a catheter that helps fix aortic stenosis without any major surgery.
- Reduced Mortality: When it comes to high-risk patients, the TAVI procedure has significantly reduced mortality rates.
- Shorter Recovery: Patients typically experience shorter hospital stay and a quicker recovery when compared to a traditional valve replacement surgery.
- Low Risk of Stroke: When compared to other aortic valve replacement therapies, the risk of stroke for the patient in TAVI is less likely. Your interventional cardiologist will take all necessary precautions to reduce the risk of stroke to the absolute minimum.
- Quick recovery to life: After undergoing a successful TAVI procedure, patients resume their daily activities very soon.
- Longer Durability: The TAVI valves are durable and specially designed to last, aiding the patient with long-term relief from symptoms of aortic stenosis.
- Improved Quality of Life: Most of the patients who undergo a successful TAVI procedure get back on track with life early after the procedure. they also experience a significant improvement in the quality of life; this indeed improves the overall well-being of a person.
Best TAVI Hospital In Mumbai
Symbiosis Speciality Hospital is the best TAVI hospital in Mumbai. With a state-of-the-art cath lab and a highly equipped surgical ICU, we are the most technologically advanced cardiac hospital in Mumbai.
Having an in-house procedural setup and, above all, having the best interventional cardiologists in the city, we are the only hospital in Mumbai performing the maximum number of TAVI cases monthly.
Book your consultation with us today for the best TAVI treatment in the city.